Jan 17, 2009

M. Night Shyamalan

Do you love him? Do you hate him? 

It's one or the other right? I mean, you don't hear his name or see a film of his and just go "meh".  Whether it's a hit or miss, there's still nobody else like him.  I'm pretty sure I'd do just about anything to be in one of his films.  

I've seen "Signs" a zillion times.  It happened to be on TV today and I watched the second half.  This got me in a Shyamalan frenzy so we had to watch "Unbreakable".  That one I hadn't seen since it came out, and didn't remember so well.  I liked it, because I'm into the superhero / supervillain thing...but I didn't love it.  There's something about the cinematography that doesn't do it for me.  It slows things down too much and makes it boring in some parts.  And then all the strange shots for about the first 20 minutes didn't go with the rest of the movie.  It seemed like he hadn't quite found his style yet, so I was surprised to learn that one came after "The Sixth Sense".  Apparently it was supposed to be shot "comic book style" but I didn't get that from it, either.  My loved one, on the other hand, loved the way it was shot.  Most guys I know dig the movie because of the father / son relationship.  

Anyway.  I'm a huge fan.  Love "Signs".  Love "The Village".  Now that's a role I would have absolutely loved loved loved to have had.  Thinking about Bryce's performance gives me chills.  Saw "The Happening".  Loved everything but the end.  Plants?! I'm a fan of Zoey and Mark and the suicide scenes were so scary, that I'll just let that one slide.  

Who isn't a fan of "The Sixth Sense"? The last time I watched it, I had forgotten how sad it was.  Just beautiful.  "Lady in the Water" I actually have not seen.  Can you believe it? With how much I love M. Night and Bryce? But I will! 

I also think he's just about the only director / writer who can make a cameo in a film and pull it off.  He does it well, and it doesn't take me out of the film.  

So, what's your opinion? Are you a fan? Which ones do you like? Which don't you like? 

Thanks everyone for getting excited about this Netflix Kiss Video contest! I'll have more updates in the next couple of days & I plan to do a lot more blog.tv to help with promotion this week, too.  VIEWS, RATINGS and VIDEO RESPONSES seem like the most important thing.  So thank you in advance! 

Going to take my parents to "Walking with the Dinosaurs" again tomorrow...
how big of a nerd does that make me on a scale from 1 - 10?! 

xoxo Deena 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've seen a lot of his films and have enjoyed most of them. Lady in the Water is one of my favs- I'm sure you'll love it once you see it :) Never say Signs or Unbreakable, but DID see The Happening and thoroughly enjoyed that one! Do you know who Harmony Korine is? He writes and directs. Pretty much anything he has any type of affiliation with, I just HAVE to watch.. Kids, Gummo, Julien Donkey Boy, all favorites :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've watched The Sixth Sense when I was.. six. It was sorta scary for a little kid I was back then. I've also watched Lady In The Water only recently. I liked how the hound integrates itself into the grass.. eco-friendly! Wanted to watch The Village real bad but my dad couldn't find the DVD for it ):

    ReplyDelete