Jan 1, 2009

A Fresh Start








Happy new year, filthy animals! Went out to dinner last night and then hosted a party.  There are glasses and party favors all over my bar.  I adore the people I was with.  Will post some pictures of everyone later.  For now, here are a few of me getting ready. I really like that outfit.  Especially the shoes! I've had a problem since high school...it's called buying WAY too much black! 

Here's something you might be surprised to learn about me...
The always positive upbeat girl you see on youtube is not how I am in real life.  Well, not ALL the time.  Shocked? ;) Truth be told, I can be very high strung, stressed out, impatient, easily frustrated, etc. I'm a perfectionist. I demand SO much from myself.  Stakes are SO high when I'm doing something I love.  I want it to be the best and I put a ridiculous ammount of pressure on myself.  So as 2009 begins I'm taking with me a new way of thinking.  I'm determined to try my best to live in the MOMENT.  To make an effort to let things roll off, to be confident at all times and never second guess.  I found a quote the other day that struck me as not only incredibly profound, but something I'll be taking into '09 with as my own personal motto:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.  Out deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.  It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.  We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, wyo are you not to be? You are a child of God; your playing small doesn't serve the world.  There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.  We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.  It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.  And as we let our light shine, we unconciously give other people permission to do the same.  As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
-Nelson Mandela

Isn't it BEAUTIFUL? For so long, I was in the mindset and the habit of always being 'humble'.  To downplay compliments and success...and while I would still take humble over arrogant any day, the quote above made me remember to stop and ENJOY achievements. Wouldn't us artists types enjoy life a bit more if we live by those words? I'm learning how important it is to savor each success.  Time goes so fast. We only have this moment right now.  I am working hard for what I want and I have a lot to be proud of.  2008 was one of the BEST. YEARS. OF. MY. LIFE.  I just want to capture a few of the highlights in writing...

Leading roles in TWO regional premieres of new plays.  A "Best of Utah" award in Media/Politics in City Weekly Magazine.  A "Best of the Beehive" award for *The Comedienne* in Salt Lake Magazine.  A cover and two page story on me and my career in "The Salt Lake Tribune".  Full page article and later a cover in "IN" magazine.  Multiple write ups in the above mentioned as well as blogs like marysteenscene.com, kutv.com (gavins underground) and planethiltron.com.  Named one of the hottest women on the web on G4TV's "Attack of the Show".  Another big Jared Gold runway show. Audience favorite at the 48 hour film festival.  Performances with the Voodoo Darlings.  Amazing photo shoots.  Going through my first ever surgery & starting to conquer my fear of needles.  And to wrap it all up, one amazing little trip to LA which, if all goes well could potentially change my life.  

It truly was a golden year.  I just wanted to see the list, imortalize it here.  I eat sleep and breath my art, be it acting, singing, dancing, video making, modeling...my mind never shuts off.  I'm constantly thinking of what I can do, what I can do next, how to promote it.  I decided it was high time to start up a blog where you can all get to know me a bit more personally.  This coming from a VERY private person...who wears her heart on her sleeve more than she'd like to admit.  I think we all have a lot to teach each other.  I plan to post every day...so keep coming back!

I have the highest hopes for 2009.

Much love 
xoxo

Deena Marie Manzanares

7 comments:

  1. You need to now that you are a incredible person and wonderful talented person. So keep you track on and you will be the person that you wanna be. You have my suport. Go deena!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is a lot of awards! I hope next year is even better!
    I think your going to reach the 20k Subscriber mark!
    and who knows, maybe I'll get 500! :D

    I hope Utah warms up soon!
    -yt.com/kinkosmyers-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey sweetie. Looking forward to sharing parts of you life with you.

    You have a great self awareness. The perfectionist? I know that oh so well. A trait that's a true blessing but also a god damn curse! lol

    2009 will be bigger and beautiful for you.

    Love Jillyvanilli xxx
    http://jillymel.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. DEENA! I love you! I am so excited for you. Blogging is awesome. Even though I love making videos, sometimes I just love the simplicity of writing a blog entry!. And that quote, I LOVE IT. I first heard it from Ann Spade. It's beautiful I too have a problem of downplaying my awesomeness. (And make no mistake about it, I am AWESOME!! haha! and so are YOU!) I am amazed at all you have accomplished this year. All in ONE year! Good lord. You are my inspiration. I am working towards getting my ass back in FRONT of the camera this year. I've got my eye on you girl! Keep it up and I'll be coming back to read your E! True Hollywood Story Blog! (I've always loved the truth behind the awesomeness.) Everyone who has achieved anything Great has put enormous stress on themselves. It's what drives the greatness. (Or does the greatness drive the person?)

    Love you Deena!
    Lisa :-)
    http://lisamurray.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you have to say! I'm definitely going to be checking back frequently.
    -BowieChick

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all, you are SO tiny! I know you must hear that all the time, but geez. I am so jealous of your waistline.

    The quote is lovely - your shoes are rad! I need some shoes like that, because they'd hide the tragic tattoo that is on the front of my left ankle. lol.

    I REALLY hope the L.A. thing works out to your advantage, I can't wait to hear more about it.

    Keep blogging & I'll keep reading.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. What you said here is very important. And yes, blogging helps, at least me, to cope with reallity and to let someone know me ...
    Good luck with this project !

    ReplyDelete