Dec 31, 2012

NYC #15 - Wrap up

I'd been blogging my NYC stay every sunday, but I never got around to the final post.  My Grandpa suddenly passed away & sent my world into a tailspin again.  I came home a day early.  I really wanted to conclude my posts and I hope I kept track of what I did the final week.  Let me open up my calendar I was keeping and see what I've got.  This last one probably wont be as detailed, but at least I'll have documented it all.

Sunday November 4
Mexican Food date with the roomies at Ariba Ariba.

Monday November 5
A dinner and a drink with Scotty & Tyrel at Lillies in Union Square.

Tuesday November 6
Figaro at The Pearl.  I've never seen a cast of more beautiful women before.  Each one, so striking.  Every time a new one came out it took me aback.

Wednesday November 7
Met my scene partner David to work on our Measure for Measure scene for my final Shakespeare course on monday.  We sat working and just talking for hours.  It started snowing like crazy! I could barely keep my feet on the ground, and the wind blowing was painful.  Snow and ice kept getting in my eyes and it hurt.  I stopped for pad tai around the corner when I left Davids and hopped on the subway to Times Square where I saw "Dead Accounts" with Katie Holmes.

Thursday November 8
Went to visit Joyce Cohen! One of the people in my life who truly inspires me.  She talked about having a "big life".  And completely understood the importance of having that big life to bring back to your partner.

Friday November 9
An audition for "The Winter's Tale".  I'll remember this as one of the best auditions I've had.  Started day one of our Neutral Mask Workshop at the Movement Theater Studio NYC taught by Adrienne Kapstein.

Saturday November 10
Day two of Mask, followed by seeing a production of Golden Boy".  This was a special show for me to see for two reasons.  One, when I was a student at Atlantic a scene I was working on from Golden Boy was chosen to perform for David Mamets master class.  I'd never seen the play done before.  And two, Tony Shallhoub was in it.  There's a running joke now with two plays I've been in where I have spread the word Tony was in the audience. Someone falls for it every time.  This was my chance to get a picture with him after to conclude the ultimate joke.

I was having a great day and night, then I went home and got the word my grandpa suddenly died.

Sunday November 11
I got no sleep.  I cried all night.  I wanted to get home as fast as possible.  I couldn't believe this was real.  The rug had been pulled out from under me.  What should I do? What could I do? I was so far.  I went to my third and final Mask class.  With my bloodshot eyes.  I talked with my roomie on the subway the entire way there.  I was determined to get through.

Monday November 12
Last Shakespeare class.  It was wonderful.  David & I took a picture and said goodbye before I hopped on the subway to pack up and leave.  John helped me get a car, we said our goodbyes, and there I went.

As quickly as it had begun, my journey was over.

I've purposely left out details on classes.  What I did, what I learned, what was said, what the instructors were like.  That was for me.  If you want to know more, maybe in person I'll tell you sometime.

I needed this.  I needed to prove things to myself.  I needed to get away.  I needed to come back.  I needed to learn, grow, make peace, move forward.  It was absolutely invaluable.

New York, I love you.


The shows  (in order.)
1.) Folsom Prison Shots presented by aMios – under St. Marks
2.) Harper Reagan – Atlantic Theater Company 
3.) Prelude, The Return of the Singspeil – CUNY
4.) Cyrano – Roundabout
5.) Sleep No More - McKittrick Hotel 
6.) Once - Broadway 
7.) Pericles – Animus Theatre Company 
8.) Love Poems for Dead Bodies (reading) – Your Name Here
9.) Chicago - Broadway 
10.) Taming of the Shrew – Frog and Peach
11.) Ivanov – Classic Stage
12.) Peter & the Starcatcher - Broadway 
13.) The Heiress - Broadway 
14.) Hamlet - Wooster Group 
15.) Giant – The Public
16.) King Lear – American Bard Theater Co.
17.) Company – The Gallery Players
18.) Who’s afraid of Virgina Wolf - Broadway 
19.) Figaro - The Pearl 
20.) Dead Accounts - Broadway 
21.) Golden Boy - Broadway


My favorite? #11 (not only of this trip but my favorite straight play I've ever seen).
Close behind are #4, #18, #13.



The classes
Shakespeare with Seth Barrish of The Barrow Group 
Red Bull Classical Theater Workshop
with Liz Smith, Matt Rauch & artistic director Jesse Berger 
Neutral Mask Workshop at the Movement Theater Studio NYC
taught by Adrienne Kapstein 
Actors Movement Studio with Janice Orlandi 




The story
NYC 14
NYC 13
NYC 12
NYC 11
NYC 10
NYC 9
NYC 8
NYC 7  
NYC 6
NYC 5
NYC 4 
NYC 3 
NYC 2
NYC 1
NYC Bound once again

No comments:

Post a Comment