Oct 21, 2012

Week 3. NYC #7

Week three.

Sunday Oct. 14
My friend John that I'm staying with performed his one man show cabaret tonight at Under St. Marks.

On the way to the show we stopped at Atlas Cafe for my second time ever so I could get my favorite energy smoothie.  He won his performance spot by winning Cabaret Showdown, an improv musical gameshow.  We got there early to watch it and it was a lot of fun.

He did a great job.  He had three guests performers.  I was one, and we sang Suddenly Seymour.  A friend from home who recently moved here came and surprised me.






Monday Oct. 15
Shakespeare class was great, a particularly enjoyable class.  Next week we'll be finishing up monologues and moving to scenes.

Toward the end of class all of a sudden I started to think about Chuck.  The worlds "he's no longer in the world" kept piercing me.  My eyes would fill up with tears, it really took me by surprise.  When I left class I found a spot in Central Park where I could talk to my mom on the phone for a long time.  I couldn't stop crying.  It felt shocking all over again.  Surreal.  "A bad Chuck day", is what we call these.  And this day was one.


Tuesday Oct. 16
Went for a jog in Central Park.

Tuesday has seemed to turn into my lazy day here.  The day I do laundry, make the trek to Target for groceries, find the post office, errands, etc.


Wednesday Oct. 17
A jog in the park.



Went shopping for a new audition dress.  With some auditions that are coming up, the two I brought with me didn't seem right so I tracked down what I wanted.

I went to a reading of a play called "Love Poems for Dead Bodies" at a new theatre company called Your Name Here.  Afterward there was a talk back, moderated by Sarah Ruhl!

John, Tyrel and I went to Vintage for nachos and martinis and had a great time.  We didn't come home until 3.  Oops.  After my emotional start to the week, a night out with good friends was just what I needed.





Thursday Oct. 18
My aunt and cousins got into town! Her husband is a lawyer who has meetings and a black tie event over the weekend.  She lived her for ten years so she often comes back to visit.  This was the first time their kids were going to see NYC.  We met for dinner and then went to see their first Broadway show.  They picked Chicago.  I'd seen it on Broadway twice before with Bebe as Velma.  This time I got to see Amy Spanger as Roxie.  It was great.




Friday Oct. 19
Met up with my aunts and cousins again and went to Toys R Us, FAO Schwarz, and out for lunch.



At night I went to see a production of "Taming of the Shrew" with Frog and Peach theatre co.

This is going to sound so simple, and I guess it is, but seeing this much theatre is really teaching me a lot.  I'm reflecting on past productions I've both seen and been in.  Comparing what works and what doesn't and why.  I've also changed my opinions on some productions!

When I came home I checked my email where I'd been contacted from the second audition I went to the first week I was here about being kept on file for their future series of readings.


Saturday Oct. 20 
Ran errands then went downtown with my family for a long lunch at a super cute restaurant.  Bought a ticket for "The Heiress" for next week.

Went to see "Ivanov" at Classic Stage.  Ethan Hawke and Joely Richardson were in it.  The production was absolutely fantastic.  He was so good.  On another level kind of good.  I can't stop thinking about it.  Joely was striking.  You couldn't stop starting at her when she was onstage.  What a presence.  Juliet Rylance was wonderful, as was the entire cast.  It was unexpected, captivating, and interesting.  It was all just so right.  I woke up still feeling very much affected by it.

Two chairs to my right was Christian Carmago...the Ice Truck Killer from Dexter! Watching his wife, Juliet perform.  Um, what a talented pair!

* * * * * *

Don't forget to scroll down for the previous six entries on my NYC stay!
Tweet me: @DeenaMarie
Facebook me: facebook.com/TheDeenaShow

* * * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment