Feb 15, 2011

Tiny Beautiful Things - what would you tell yourself?

Yesterday my friend Erin posted this link on facebook. I read this blog, teared up. Didn't think I could read it again. Read it again, cried. I re-posted saying all women should read this. My sweetheart read it and was the first to comment. Last night we talked about it and he said not just women, but everyone should read this. It makes you think.

Knowing what you know right now in your life, if you could go back in time and talk to your younger self, what would you say?

I don't think it matters how old you are, it's important to read words like these to put things in perspective every now and then. It also made me think about how powerful a blog is and what an inpact someone elses thoughts and experiences can have on you. We are each others teachers. It makes me want to continue sharing mine here.

She's inspired me. Next month on my birthday, I'm going to write my letter to my younger self.

I spent most of the day yesterday reading through all the older posts on this advice column. I'm so happy I know about her, Sugar, now. Her writings are wise, funny, sweet, hip smart and real. Enjoy!

"Tiny Beautiful Things"
http://therumpus.net/2011/02/dear-sugar-the-rumpus-advice-column-64/


The above link will take you to the full blog. Here's a snipet to entice you:

"You cannot convince people to love you. This is an absolute rule. No one will ever give you love because you want him or her to give it. Real love moves freely in both directions. Don’t waste your time on anything else.

Most things will be okay eventually, but not everything will be. Sometimes you’ll put up a good fight and lose. Sometimes you’ll hold on really hard and realize there is no choice but to let go. Acceptance is a small, quiet room.

Your assumptions about the lives of others are in direct relation to your naïve pomposity. Many people you believe to be rich are not rich. Many people you think have it easy worked hard for what they got. Many people who seem to be gliding right along have suffered and are suffering. Many people who appear to you to be old and stupidly saddled down with kids and cars and houses were once every bit as hip and pompous as you."



Dear Sugar on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SugarontheRumpus
Dear Sugar on Twitter: twitter.com/Sugar_TheRumpus

No comments:

Post a Comment