Feb 16, 2011

Body Image - AGAIN

I feel obnoxious writing about this, AGAIN, but this morning as I was having my coffee and watching "The View" I saw something that pissed me off. AGAIN.

They were discussing actress in magazines who they consider "thin" or "skinny" who talk about what they eat and say they can eat a lot or don't watch what they eat. The ladies of "The View" (Joy & Whoopi) basically don't believe them. Joy made bulimia references and they all discussed that it's quite possible these actresses say (or exaggerate) the truth.

The little 20 year old from "Modern Family" was on as guest co-host. She said she eats whatever she wants, she doesn't work out and stays thin. They told her that's because she was young and "you can do that when you're young".

I have to defend those on the other side of all this because I've been accused or not believed way to many times. It's ignorant and makes me super uncomfortable.

There are people who have high metabolisms. There are people who can eat a lot, or whatever they want and they don't gain weight. There just are. It does NOT mean that you are lying or have an eating disorder.

I'm not in my early 20's anymore and I can eat the same as I always did. I don't count calories, I don't gain weight, I don't need to worry about it. There are days when I'm amazed at my own metabolism. No, really. I'm not trying to be an asshole (and I shouldn't feel like I AM being one. Thanks, society for making us on the other end of this argument feel guilty). By all means there are some days I think about what I've consumed that day, that week, whatever, and on paper I should not look the way I do. I have a killer metabolism. I just do.

To tell you the truth...I've only gotten slimmer as I've gotten older. I can't tell you why, other than I assume I've "lost my baby fat" over the years.

There are people in my family who have remained tiny forever, and others who haven't. Will I wake up in five, ten, thirty years from now in a different body? I don't know. At this point I'd be surprised.

The only time I ever gained weight was when I first moved to NYC and drank way to much way to often and ate huge meals at 3 am way to regularly. When that stopped? The weight went away.

I only started working out, Zumba, five months ago. I go quite a bit. It had absolutely no affect on my weight. Nor was that the reason why I started going.

I hear girls around my age complain that their bodies changed as they started getting older, that it just happens to everyone. But it doesn't. I hear girls say "I'll never be that size zero", in a negative way. People assume if you're thin you have no rhyme or reason to complain but when people are negatively speaking about your size, not believing or accusing you? It sucks.

I should be able to eat my fucking meal without someone commenting that I'll never be able to finish that, no way do I eat like this all the time, etc. I shouldn't have to read in my YouTube comments that my body can't possibly be "normal", that I'm an "anorexic bitch", that I need to "eat a sandwich". Give me a break.

I have no idea what someone should eat or not eat to be or not be a certain size. I'm not a good gauge. I don't know why some peoples bodies completely change. I see some people complain about their bodies changing or gaining, but maybe some don't work out hard enough or stop drinking or eating what's making them gain weight. The truth is I don't know. It would be ignorant of me to guess or assume when there are so many things to take into consideration, like thyroid or other heath problems. It would be ignorant for me to try to say what they should or should not be doing. Every body is so different, I'm more aware of how specific weight and health is to each individual now more than ever. I see Jennifer Hudson and Christina Aguilera's transformations and could not begin to tell you why or what or how.

I'm aware there are all sorts of eating disorders out there. Anorexia, bulimia, overeating, binging, etc. But assuming anything makes an ass out of U and Me. ;)

All I want to say is that some people are naturally thin. Some people have high metabolisms. Some people don't have to work as hard as others. I also want to say that by no means is one body type right or wrong. By no means do I think I'm perfect. By all means I wake up with good body days and bad body days just like anyone else. I have what I like and what I don't like. I have things I worry about that others don't and vice versa.

I just want the assumptions to stop. It's not fair to clump people together, to accuse or to assume. Ever.

*hops off soap box* ;)

DM

No comments:

Post a Comment