Feb 21, 2011

Putting things into perspective



Last night I couldn't sleep. I was up tossing and turning all night and finally decided to get on the computer.

I came across a girl on facebook that I remember from high school. We weren't friends. I don't think I ever even had a conversation with her, but I remembered her name and face because I always thought she was so pretty.

A perfect looking girl that you assume will grow up to have a perfect life. As I looked a little closer I saw in her profile picture that she was missing a leg!

What?!

I googled her and found that she'd been hit by a car, suffered an internal decapitation (which was *thank god* fixed by bone and metal) and an amputated leg.

Oh. My. God.

I can't even explain how that made me feel. Super sad. Super sorry. Then impressed and inspired by all the things she's done since then. She's in the gym every day, hiking and climbing mountains. Then I felt like an idiot for stressing about or being scared of the things that I am scared or stressed about.

Holy shit. I don't know where that strength comes from or if I'd ever have it like she does...she's still as beautiful as ever, if not more so. What a fucking inspiration.

God it really puts things into perspective like a slap in the face. It makes me want to hug all of my loved ones a little tighter, enjoy the moment a little more, be grateful for all I have. You never know what life has in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment