Apr 11, 2011

Is there such a thing as "good luck"?



The night before an audition I opened a fortune cookie.
It said, "You will be showered with good luck tomorrow".

I auditioned for three plays, got called back for two, cast in one.

What do you think when you hear the following phrases?

She/he was born under a lucky star
Thank your lucky stars
She/he has a dark cloud hanging over them


Is there something to be said for all/any of them? Do you believe that there is such a thing as good luck? Are some people destined for great things, for things to come easy, and others to struggle, to fail?

Is it all based on what each individual perceives? And can we really make our own luck?

There's a quote from the book The Alchemist that says "when you really want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it."

As much as I'd like to believe that to be true...I just don't know if I do.

I have had many opportunities and gotten almost everything I've wished for in some form or another. But I never feel like I'm done, or like I've accomplished enough.

In many ways I still feel I'm waiting for my moment. My big moment. I've had many small ones and I'm ready for it.

So how do I get there? Am I one of those "born under a lucky star"? Most would say yes. I would say...I don't know. What if I'm not? What if my deepest desires never come to light? What is it I'm asking for? I feel as open for it and ready as ever and have officially put my call out into the universe. Is that enough? Is that all I can do? Has the conspiring begun?

What do you think? What is luck to you and do you believe in it?

What do you think of my experience? Do you believe in omens like that? I think I could argue it both ways. Yes, I got a part. In my favorite of the three plays, actually. But. It wasn't the role or even the play that I was certain I'd be up for and was in the mind set of potentially getting.


*This isn't to say I'm not grateful or happy about this casting, or any of the things I've gotten to do that I know others would love to do, too. Not at all. I just love to think about things like this and really try to figure it out. I hate to think I'll die one day without ever knowing the secrets of the universe. I refuse it :)

So. Is it all just perception?

How do we appreciate the moment instead of living in the future and the what ifs?

I guess it's time to open up The Alchemist for the third time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment