Nov 20, 2010

I love to Zumba. Really love.




You know how you hear people say "If you find something you love to do you'll never work a day in your life?" This totally applies to working out. That's the first thing that popped into my head when I found zumba. You've heard me say I love zumba but it's so much more than that.

It's literally changed my life.

I have gone my whole life without working out. All I ever did was go on walks outside when the weather was nice. I bought a treadmill. I hate it. I might like it for a few days but then I'm totally over it. It's so boring to me and I can't stop looking at the time. I've tried to jog and it's just not for me. I hear people say they get into their zone, it's their therapy, they have to do it. I've never been able to relate. I've never been able to stick to any for of "working out" regularly. I've never had a gym membership. So many people I know go to the gym regularly. It's a part of their day. I've never understood that. I only set foot in a gym once. Walked on the treadmill and was over it. I guess I just didn't know what to do. How to find a workout I liked.

*Let me also say this. Working out does not affect my weight so I'm not a good gage to tell you what is right for weight loss. I don't think I could gain or loose weight if I tried. I am the same size I was at 14. I am hoping to tone up, however.

*If you do try zumba, don't expect to catch on right away. Hang in there. Go to a bunch of classes and instructors.

I like to move. I like to feel active. I've recently learned I like to sweat. I have learned what it means when someone says they like to feel strong. I like to feel my endurance/stamina getting better. Above all, I feel mentally fantastic after a zumba class.

There is nothing like that post workout feeling.

I tried my first zumba class on october 1. I was hooked right then. I know if I like something instantly. I know if I can stick to it or not. I know what I like, what I don't what I can and can't do. What I'm willing to do or not do.

For those who don't know what zumba is, it's like a latin dance aerobic class. I've been to 10 different instructors now so I definitely have my favorite classes and instructors for various reasons. I like one because of the arms and abs. Another because it feels more like a hip hop dance class.

It did help that I'm a dancer. I pick up the combinations easily. It takes me back to days of dance class. Ballet, jazz, hip hop, you name it, I did it. I almost forgot that love of physicality. I like that hour to move. I find my zone, it's my time to turn off my brain and escape from everything else going on in my life . I now know just what people mean. It took me this long to find my workout. It has never felt like a workout. It's fun. I never thought I could wake up early in the morning to workout. Now that I'm a zumba addict I love waking up and going to class first thing. I go at least 5 days a week. I have an annual pass. I have the best time.

It's now a part of my life. I now understand the idea of making it a part of your life. It becomes part of your ritual, your day, your lifestyle. It completely has. I plan for it. I need it. Again, it never feels like work. Never feels like something I have to do.

This isn't a blog to tell you to get hooked on zumba (although of course I think everyone should give it a shot because it's so much fun) but to say that if I could go my whole life without working out, thinking I'd never have the time, I'd hate doing it...and found something that made me feel completely opposite? Then your workout is out there too. Could be a class, could be a trainer, give it all a try until you find what works for you. I thought I couldn't and it turns out I more than could. I was nervous to make the initial move just to go. Trust me, you'll be proud of yourself when you do and see how doable it is and when you've done it.


You'll be so happy you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment