Mar 27, 2011

Birthday Blog: What would you tell yourself?

It's my birthday! We're now 20 minutes past the exact moment I was born. 7:04 pm :)

Last month I wrote about a blog that really got to me from the advice column of Dear Sugar for The Rumpus called "Tiny Beautiful Things".

Here is the link
http://therumpus.net/2011/02/dear-sugar-the-rumpus-advice-column-64/

Seriously. Read it. I'll wait. Did you read it? Good. Now the rest will make sense. I promised to write my own letter to myself on my birthday this year. What would I tell my younger self from what I've been through this far? I know there are many I'm forgetting and I know this list will grow and change through my life.

But right here, today, now, this birthday, this moment, I would look back and say this:



Never say never.

It’s okay to change your mind. You don’t need to have yourself or your life set in stone from which you cannot sway.

Time heals all wounds, even if it takes ten years.

There are people who will leave scars on your soul. They’ll become a part of who you are and who made you you. Remembering the good and the bad is okay.

Enjoy your young (high school) self. Savor every minute. Relish in how intensely you feel EVERYTHING. It will never quite be the same.

Ignorance is bliss.

You’ll grow up to have everything you ever wanted. At times it will be better than you imagine. At times it will be worse. Be careful what you wish for.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The lady (who did not know you) and told you it “must be hard for you to exist on this plane” knew. You’ll carry it with you always and think of this regularly.

NYC will be the best move you’ll ever make. The best of times the worst of times. The time of greatest impact. The most special time of your life.

You will not die from heartbreak. You will survive the words “I don’t love you”.

You will know great love.

You’ll let people in your life who don’t necessarily deserve it. Love it. Learn from them.

You’ll grow up to do things you never imagined.

Your hard work will pay off. Hard work is never over.

You’ll be more sensitive and fragile than you ever knew. Cherish your years of blind confidence, of naivety.

That which doesn’t kill you doesn’t (unfortunately) always make you stronger.

Your life will take so many twists and turns. You will be so many people you never knew you would be.

You’re a good person. You’re doing your best, for you, right now. Trust it.

Never feel guilty about trying new things. Try everything.

Friendships are hard.

Karma is actually just called life. Sometimes things take longer than you wish they would. But the tables will turn. Everyone has their moment in the spotlight and their moment in the dumps.


* * * * * * * * * *

This morning my sweetheart surprised me with a NEW LAPTOP! Mine was on it's way out but I really didn't expect one so soon. I didn't expect anything other than our Vegas trip to celebrate! We leave tomorrow. What a sweet one to plan all of this.

So today we took it easy, invited my parents over and ate pizza.

My mom and dad had this cake made, peanut butter buttercream with Ariels! She's my favorite Disney Princess. Three Ariels and crowns all around! I didn't even want to cut or eat this it was so cute!




Then my sweetheart took a big walk and at exactly 7:04 we took these:






There you have it! See you when we're back in town. Now off to pack for a much needed getaway...

DM
http://www.deenamarie.biz
http://www.twitter.com/DeenaMarie

2 comments:

  1. This post brought tears to my eyes! I love you so much! You are an amazing and beautiful woman inside and out. You are more than "Deena the woman of 1,000 faces." You are humble, authentic, intelligent, STRONG and wise beyond your years. I am so grateful to have you in my life...such a wonderful woman with so many layers and so much depth. I love you!

    ReplyDelete