Jun 26, 2009

Michael Jackson





Michael Jackson passed away yesterday.

I was sitting on my couch with my laptop and saw it on twitter pretty much right when the word was out. I saw Perez Hiltons twitter first, saying he'd gone into cardiac arrest. I spent the next hour or two looking online, where TMZ was first to break the news. Twitter was crazy with everyone reporting what they'd heard, learning the news, etc. Then I started seeing that reports went from "not looking good" to he had passed.

I felt so weird.

So weird. It was surreal. A few hours later I started reading various tweets and status updates where people didn't care, made jokes, said to "get priorities straight and forget the celeb and think of Iran", to stop pretending like you care when you weren't truly a fan.

First of all, whether you loved him or hated him, it's really gross to make a joke of death. The posts telling us to forget him and think of Iran? Way to soon. It had only been a matter of hours. It's not like a week's gone by and since you weren't a fan you're sick of the media coverage. Let his fans fucking grieve and deal with this! And the stop pretending like you care? Would people seriously mention it and feel sad over it if they didn't care?

It seems, of course, people are very divided. That not everyone out there realized that he still has a huge fanbase! I'm not going to play the pretentious game today that his celebrity pales to what really matters in the world and Iran. Somebody who influenced me since I was little is gone. This is a huge impact to me and many people I know.

Family members of mine in their 40's are mourning because they feel he was the icon of their generation, and strangely enough, I feel the same way. He was timeless. I remember first hearing him in my late elementary, early jr. high years, when my dad let me borrow a CD (that I never gave back & still have in my collection.)

In high school, every weekend my group of friends would go disco roller skating and they played plenty of old school MJ. We knew every song, we bought his videos (still have them on VHS), we tried to learn his dance moves...I had both female and male friends that were fantastic at it (Amber, McGarren) and I can't tell you how many times they'd take off skates, get out in the middle of the rink and wow everyone. I remember one of my aunts giving a pair of MJ autographed shoes to my high school best friend, Amber who was his greatest fan. She had an MJ doll and wanted to get an MJ tattoo when we were old enough. :)

I associate his music and his videos so much with high school.

I also remember being 15 years old and kissing a cute blonde boy I had a huge crush on at a dance to "Earth Song". When you're so young, discovering...everything is brand new and exciting.

I still list "Earth Song" as one of my favorite songs of all time.

As I got older and became a professional performer, I borrowed from him as I learned to really appreciate how fucking talented he was. I can't tell you how many times I've watched "Bad", "Beat It" and "Thriller" to steal a move here or there. Yes, I can do the thriller dance. Yes, I did a homage performance to him last August for Voodoo Darlings Burlesque to "Bad" (see above picture).

I can type this right now, today and honestly tell you I am a fan. I love his music, I own it all. I love love love his dancing. Nobody moves like him. He invented something new and different and beyond entertaining.

I learned a lot yesterday. There are so many opinions out there and that's great. I think that's extremely beautiful and interesting. We all take something a very different way. On the same token, let's be kind and respectful to each other with this. It's all hit us a different way. We may not understand why it has effected someone particularly hard. We may not understand what memories or personal experiences are associated to this person and this passing. I read a quote the other day that I think very much comes into play right now...

"Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle".

I hope Michael is remembered for his talent.
He inspired us performers and impacted us very, very much. RIP.

xo Deena




8 comments:

  1. Although I don't feel the same way about MJ as you do, I think it is very sweet of you to post this and share your memories. I somewhat upset a girl on facebook yesterday because I mad a post that said to accept it and move on. I understand that could have been taken as pretty harsh, but it's not really how I meant it. I will not deny the AMAZING contribution that he made to music and entertainment. I was a huge fane of MJ when I was in elementary schiool. From the time I turned 5 until I was about 8 or 9 {1985-1989} - I did not like any of his new work though & I'd be lying to say that they guy didn't give me the creeps. But like you said, we all have our own thoughts about him/the situation. Wen Kurt Cobain passed away I cried like a baby. I loved him and his music so much, but there were a lot of people who said good riddance :( so I can understand how you & others feel about MJ too. X's & O's - Tally

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. - you looked adorable in your homage performance to him. Love the costume.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was 6 years old (1971) my mom bought me the record of Michael Jackson's first solo single "Got To Be There" which probably was the first record I ever had. I played it all the time, and the B side "Maria (You Are the Only One)". That was the beginning of my love of music. I still have the little 45 record, as well as his "Never Can Say Goodbye" single. RIP Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, Deena, that last post from redcity is me, Todd Collins

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty, funny, talented ... and a writer. Is there anything you DON't do well?

    I'm 40 so I'm in your parent's camp. I grew up with the man. Loved him and his music. So sorry he passed.

    On the other hand... when farrah passed she shared the twitter "trending topics" list with #iranelection . I'm saddened because, though michael jackson was undeniably a cultural icon, his death should not have stopped world news coverage. I'm saddened that we can't seem to mourn Michael Jackson's death while - at the same time - trying to understand what's going on in Iran and figure out ways to help.

    I'm pretty sure Michael woulda felt the same way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zpTQCQEFhg

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel you and every way,I remember when i saw my first video Thriller on MTV my sis was on jr.high school, from that day on i was enchanted with the music of michael jackson. I was shock yesterday when i saw a twitter from Perez and i was like WHAAAAT? I could not believe it!!!. From that moment on i feel really weird because The King of Pop died! is very sad that someone who was special in da world was gone for ever but hes music will be for ever in our heart and memory. R.I.P Michael Jackson!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am the Aunt who gave away the shoes. I thought alot about that yesterday, the shoes, Amber, Deena. My friends in H.S. Class of 85. Watching the drill team do their dance to, "Thriller". I had a long talk today with a friend I have had for over 25 years. She had alot of negative things to say about "MJ"...and I have to admit, there are times that I questioned what was wrong with this guy. Well, my friend asked me what did Michael Jackson really do for the world? He was no, Mother Teresa. So, I thought to myself without answering her.."What did he do"? He made be happy when I was sad, when I was mad he helped me be a little, "Bad"..and just maybe, one night when I was very, very sad..his song, "Don't stop till you get enough"..made me get up and dance, I started to feel better even though 10 minutes before that, I had wished I was dead. So what did MJ do? I cannot answer for everyone but for me, I am here today because, "That song", that song...made me pull my head outta my ass and realize life was not so "Bad"!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you posted this. You've written what everyone needs to realize. The people making jokes and being disrespectful make me sick. You're right--whether someone is a fan or not, you don't make a joke out of death.

    Thanks again, Deena, for this post.

    ReplyDelete